Saturday, March 25, 2017

WIP: Zombie Dragon (Games Workshop)



Some WIP shots of my (Robot) Zombie Dragon!


I didn't want to do a tradition Zombie Dragon for a long time, but an upcoming contest got my gears turning, and I decided to make a Robot Zombie Dragon instead! Started with a quick chroming with Alclad:


Then a quick color test to see how the musculature looks:


And then drybrushed up the muscles to see how they look before applying the formula to the whole piece:


Quick test fit of the rib and skull pieces, really like how its looking so far:


To make it look a bit more "robot-y" I had envisioned adding wires throughout the whole thing to really sell what I'm doing, instead of just simply making the bones chrome. Here I'm drilling random spots and putting some scrap wire I have through it to see what it looks like.


I also envisioned doing fire from the mouth of the dragon. I've had some success recreating fire on a small scale with (ironically) water effects, so figured I'd try it here too. However, I needed some support, so I snapped a piece of clear styrene sprue off to test:


Then sanded and polished it down after cutting the excess off.


Finally, I bit the bullet and chopped the tongue off so I could light fire. Scary stuff, there's no going back after this:


Then painstakingly drilled a hole to house the LED, with some other off shoot holes for the wires. This took a whole day.


Test with a clear tube, not the styrene, because the clear tube is self supporting for picture purposes:


Added the final rib pieces and painted the skin on them!


Finally added the legs, and its starting to take shape:


The wires by themselves aren't enough to convey the robotic look by themselves, and I thought having some gas tanks to supply the fire would look cool and robotic, so I got some spare WWII parts I had laying around:


I cut the stems and detonators off to make some fuel tanks, drilled the ends and added some wire:


Finally painted them up and added them to the kit!


And that's it for now!
EDIT 3/28/17:

Finished assembling, basing, and getting started with finalizing the flame!











No comments:

Post a Comment