Thursday, June 18, 2015

WIP: Captain America Portal Turret (NECA)


Masking nightmare.

I had hesitated on doing this for some time. Basically, I knew the nightmare masking job that awaited me. Straight lines on one side, and concentric circles on the other. Bleh.

So I got my Captain America vinyl mask sheet I got from Aztek Dummy (designed for the Polar Lights kit, but useful for me!) and masked it up. I was working in a limited time window (the kids were outside playing) so I didn't take any in progress shots, but here you go:


If you examine them closely, you'll notice I have the same problem that I had with the Thor turret that I had earlier. The Tamiya masking tape, a very mild masking tape that has never led me wrong, left what looks like a residue, but actually isn't tacky, nor does it feel any different in texture. I stripped the Thor turret, and haven't restarted it. The same happened to this in between my last update and this one, even after I let the paint dry completely for weeks. I got upset about it and left it on the shelf, to revisit later, another reason for the time gap between updates on this. When I revisited it, however, the "residue" was completely gone. Apparently, about a week and a half of time lets it vanish. Still have no clue whatsoever as to what this is, and why it has only happened on these two turrets, not the others. My best guess is that these particular colors somehow get their gloss paint dulled when Tamiya masking tape is applied, and the gloss re-settles over time? Doesn't seem right, but its the best I got.

So it happened after this last round of masking, but I fret not, because I know it will disappear over time now. So now, we wait...and thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment