Wednesday, June 17, 2015

WIP: Stormtalon (Games Workshop)


Finally back at it!

So real life has been hectic, crazy, and strenuous. I haven't had much time to actually breathe, much less get anything accomplished, and after my bulk completions a few weeks ago, I took a slight break as well. But, time to get back to the plastic.

So I picked the Stormtalon by Games Workshop because I really wanted to try a specific color scheme. I was actually going to do it on my Tau Devilfish, but changed the scheme once I saw how the camo was turning out.

So the basic idea is to build this in larger sub assemblies. I've clipped most pieces off the sprue and discovered that masking this when complete will be near impossible, and it actually builds quite nicely on a modular level. First problem with that, though, was the engine/wing area. The turbines are quite detailed, and wedge into the "wing" (for lack of a better term) area, that then ALSO needs to be glued together. That wouldn't work, so to operate the way I need to, I had to operate:


When those two halves are glued, the turbine is locked in place. So, I decided to clip pieces off the back, and let the turbine "slide" in instead of clipping in. This will allow me to completely paint each piece individually without the terror of masking:


Also, before gluing the tips onto the turbine pieces, I cut some sheet styrene out and glued it in, so there isn't a gaping chasm into the inner part of the model, which, while dark, still shows off the nasty insides of the kit.




That's it for today, check back soon for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment