Monday, March 23, 2015

WIP: Eldar Crimson Hunter Part 2


Back to work!

Anyone else remember this? I was getting started on (what was then) going to be an Eldar Wraith Fighter, after further assembly, it has turned into a Crimson Raider. I had the pilot and cockpit ready to go, then Armies on Parade took over, and the piece has sat on my Shelf of Shame since. Well, no longer!

So picked this back up, and had it mostly assembled. As you might recall, I loathe seam lines, so I spent the better part of forever puttying and sanding the area where the rear fins meet the main body. The join on some of the parts makes for logical panel lines, but the look and makeup of the fins just didn't give that vibe, so they had to go. So, I applied my trusty plastic putty and used increasingaly smoother grits of sandpaper, all the way to 1000 grit, to sand down the area around them. I also masked the cockpit off in preparation for priming.


So, the next step was to lay down some Alclad gray primer in preparation for the next step, the Alclad enamel base coat. However, when it comes to sanding putty, rarely (and by that, I mean, NEVER) will the part be as smooth of a join as hoped, as is evidenced here:



On the one hand, there certainly is no seam line there. But on the other, the area where the two parts meet isn't a perfectly smooth and seamless transition, so I went back and worked on the lines a bit more, hoping to smooth that transition out.


This involved starting at an extremely rough grit (320) and transitioning to 1000 grit to smooth out the plastic from scratch marks enough for the primer to hide it.


After recoating it with more primer in the afflicted spots, it was time for the Alclad black base! I sprayed this on at 18 psi, and it being enamel, is nearly an eon to dry, so that's where I had to leave off. No doubt this base coat will need some work before the real fun of tinting the gloss black with different metallics takes place, so I'm going to allow it to "gas out" as I leave for the great Pacific Northwest. Until then!


No comments:

Post a Comment