Thursday, November 19, 2015

WIP: Dragonfate Dais (Games Workshop) - The fire


Getting started on the fire work for the sconces on top of the dragon columns.



Started out, as you can see above, by taping the flames down to a ruler and priming them in black. In retrospect, I should've done it in white, but I was priming the whole kit at once and got into a rhythm.

From there, I painted the skulls as you'd normally paint GW bone colors. Its important to prepaint here so the effects when sprayed reflect onto the skull, giving it a sense of light emanating from the fire. I can be a little sloppy here, because the fire effects next will cover a lot of mistakes.


After that, just started with Tamiya paints, airbrushing starting with white at the bottom to black at the top, and the "fire" range in between. I made sure to get a little yellow on the tops of the skulls, and the very slightest possible hint of orange on the brows to give them a little glow. I interspersed some black here and there, not just at the top, to keep the flames looking smokey.


Finally, I put some more black lava paste on the bases of the fire. Every completed version of this kit I've seen has blank black bases, and that just won't do. The texture paint gives an ashy effect, and when drybrushed with a copper metallic, actually looks like glowing embers:


One more mock build up before bed and an off day on Friday, means I am hoping against hope to finish this sooner rather than later! Painting all of the dragons and trim is up next, and its quite a daunting task. Thanks for looking!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment