Monday, November 30, 2015

WIP: Fuunsaiki (Gundam Unicorn) - Part 2


Building and painting the unicorn!

So I won't go through the doldrums of cutting and sanding and assembling the piece. Its pretty straight forward. It might be Gundam heresy, but I glued all my parts together, puttied and sanded the seams, etc. Above, you see the test fit of all the pieces. After I was happy with that, it was time to prime!

Before laying paint down, I consulted with my client. She insisted on purple for the helmet area, and light blue for the hooves (her thinking being that it would look like diamonds from Minecraft. Diamond hooves. I love it). I talked her into doing gold for the pieces of the kit that are normally yellow decals, and keep the main body white, but I suggested a pearlescent paint job to make it stand out, and she agreed.

I used just the plain white Tamiya primer, then plain white rattle can paint of which I had plenty. Since I do rattle can paints outside, I don't have a ton of in progress paint pictures. Then I just did some quick masking around the head and hooves and sprayed my purple and blues.



While I had the purple and blue loaded in the airbrush, I started on the rainbow base/stand, as you can see. Since I'm not trying to win any awards, I just eyeballed and free handed the color spacing and transitions pretty quickly. All in all, I got the paint laid down in a morning's worth of work.

Finally, I assembled the piece and clear coated it with Tamiya's pearl top coat. I think I bought it years ago to do the occasional model car, but it was still in plastic wrap, and I used every last drop to really make it sparkle. The effect isn't picked up on the camera, as the iridescence is quite fine, but hopefully it will photograph in the finished pictures.


Thanks for stopping by and looking...hoping to do my panel line washes and gold paint next!

No comments:

Post a Comment