Friday, June 3, 2016

WIP: Glottkin - Basing


Finally getting on to basing the behemoth!

I've put off basing the Glottkin for a long while, mainly because I didn't exactly know what I wanted. I waffled between an nasty alien landscape, or doing a traditional landscape that contained ruin from where he trod. I figured the latter would be a more difficult story to tell, so I decided on a weird alien landscape full of disgusting-ness.

I started by visiting the local pet shop, and looking at the decorations in the aquarium section. Originally the plan was to find some things to go on the base, but decided that the scale was off, and just used it for inspiration instead. So I went to the local craft store and browsed the aisles, and came home with a few different beads to create the effect I wanted:


I was going to use the red beads as a sort of fungal life on the base, and the gold beads as a t ype of reed in the water. The clear beads will be to make bubbles in a pond.

So I laid out some Aves Apoxie in the general area that I wanted everything. I set a ridge to contain the pond, then pressed the hooves of the Glottkin beast in to create a "key" for him to sit in. It was necessary to do this part next, because as I start to paint more and more of him, I didn't want the paint job to get Apoxie on it and have to be redone.


Next, I coated the actual landscape with Golden's Fiber Paste. I wanted a texture to it, but not Citadel's grittier texture paint, something more grimy, so I used the fiber paste and this is the end result:


Next up is to prime the whole thing, paint the water area, then start getting either some Nurgle Rot or other water effects in there and see what comes of it!

Does anybody else think the tops of the red beads look like strawberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment