Saturday, May 14, 2016

WIP: Bandai X-Wings


Tearing myself away from Dark Souls 3 enough to lay down some paint!


So a few days ago I got started clipping out the pieces for the Bandai X-Wing. I couldn't decide if I wanted to paint it the gray/blue of the Resistance, or orange/black of Poe's "hero" ship, so I got two of them! I built them side by side to keep it as "together" as possible. Then I bought Dark Souls 3. Never played a Souls game, but 40 hours later, I realized I needed to lay down some paint!

The above picture is the Resistance X-Wing primed up with Tamiya gray. The base coat looks quite similar, almost no change. I also primed Poe's fighter in black:


After that, I took a page from my previous builds and sprayed Poe's X-Wing with Tamiya NATO Black, which is just so so close to black, but gives me a step to shade down with. The difference is subtle, but gives me the ability to put a black wash in the panel lines that can be seen. In this picture, you can see the black primer on the left, and the Tamiya NATO Black on the right:


While those base coats were drying, I started work on the BB units and the silver parts:


There's no real reference material for a BB unit that is NOT BB-8, so I just applied blue paint where BB-8 has orange. Most of the Resistance fighters you see in The Force Awakens use R4 units (or something similar, if my nomenclature is off, apologies), but Bandai's kit only comes with BB units. I could get one 3D printed, but at this stage, I just want to get these finished, so I'm sticking with what comes with the kit and just plowing through.

Thanks for looking! Up next is masking off to spray the blue and orange accents!

No comments:

Post a Comment