Wednesday, May 25, 2016

WIP: Glottkin - Airbrushing


Finally getting some color on the Glottkin!

So after hemming and hawing about which colors I was going to use, I finally just bit the bullet and picked Tamiya Flat Green for my base. A rather unsexy pick, definitely. I looked at skewing him more toward a brown hue instead of so "green" like the box, but had concerns with the amount of brown he'd show with the horns all over, and how that would show the irritated skin effect I wanted, so I mixed a few greens as a test to make a sickly color, and lo and behold, it was essentially Tamiya flat green, so that's what I sprayed him. Now he looks like a pustuled army man.

After giving him a quick wash in Agrax Earthshade, I then used the flat green and progressively added more and more Tamiya Cockpit Green, which was more the sickly color I wanted to show, so it was a great highlight. I mixed on up until I was using that color pure as the final highlight:


From there, I mixed up a 2:1:1 mix of Tamiya Red/Purple/Hull Red (which is a ruddy brown) for the bruising and irritated areas. I don't really have a "plan" on this kit, per se, as he's got an awful lot going on, and its fun just to wing it as I go on something as gross and organic as this. So anywhere I thought he'd have some irritation, I sprayed this mix, and then topped it off in the center with pure red after the fact to give it some tonal variation:


Finally, I started hand painting the horns. This lets me get a hard delineated line where it joins the body, instead of the gradient effect and overspray an airbrush would get me. I will eventually use that same effect for the tops of the horns with an airbrush, but for now I'm just going to base coat them with Zandri Dust, and possibly even go higher with Ushabti Bone, but for now, this is what it looks like:


So far so good! I want to do all my airbrushing before really starting to pick out the details. I'm kinda bummed about it because he looks like a big grape right now, but once I start picking out the nasty parts, that will change significantly. Its tough sometimes being patient and seeing the big picture. Anyways, thanks for coming by to look, hope you enjoy, look for the video of this to go up on Youtube sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment