Saturday, August 9, 2014

WIP: Mastermind (Garage Kit)

Quick WIP from a commission bust.

Another commission bust, churned this one out shortly after Sasquatch. I anticipated this one being the more difficult of the two, since fur is a bit more forgiving, so I saved him for last. I started by gluing and puttying his arms in place (the picture above) since I'd have to do some sanding to get them flush to the main torso before priming.

I also worked a bit on the base. There was a mold line along the outer ring on the bottom, and it ran deep. So, I used one of my favorite resin gap-filling methods, which is to lay some super glue on top, them fill it with a product called Micro balloons. Its a lightweight filler that people use on RC airplanes, and it basically makes superglue dry instantly, while filling the gap as well. So, add a bead of glue, some Micro Balloons on top, and then got to sanding.


After that, it was on to priming and basecoats. This was pretty normal stuff. I wanted a color on the base to suggest the "mystic" type power that Mastermind used, so I went with a greenish, almost sickly hue (since his real form is very weasely looking). I just airbrushed progressively gray greens on top of each other to get the effect. I also basecoated him in a dark brown, and started to process of building up the skin tones, since sometimes skin doesn't go on so well over a darker primer.






From there, it was just basically lightening up the skin, subtle shading on the jacket, and some detail work til he was almost done, and ready for his subtle shading and highlights.





No comments:

Post a Comment