Thursday, January 29, 2015

Power Weapons,completed


I have the power!

Finished with the halberds and other various weaponry. Won't go into a huge run down as to the colorations, and how to do that (you can read about all that here), but I will describe what makes doing these things unique.

So, with the regular weapons, I could mask straight up and down, like so:

 

But with the halberds and other swords, there is a curve to the blade, making a straight line mask impossible. I experimented with a few different solutions...masking tape and Xacto to carve the blade path didn't work so great. I tried Blu Tack and Silly Putty but it was time consuming to match the curve. I also tried some Micro Scale Liquid Mask, but it was awful. I figured a liquid mask was the way to go, so I ordered some Vallejo online, and it was phenomenally better. I originally tried brushing the stuff on, but it coagulates so quickly that it would gum up the bristles. I finally wised up and used my color shaper tool, and things went way smoother:


After that, just did my inverse gradient on the blades' exposed parts, and got my final result.


That is it! Now these are off to their original owner. Thanks for looking!



No comments:

Post a Comment