Wednesday, January 21, 2015

WIP: Dragon Models Batman


The model kit you all deserve, but not the one you need right now.

So while waiting on some masking fluid to arrive to finish off my power weapons, and other commission deliveries en route, I decided to take a stab at the Batman. Figured, what could go wrong? I have a few days to kill waiting on the mail man, so painting something black should be quick and easy.

Well, as Lego Batman said so eloquently, its not just black, but also really, really dark gray. There are far more tones in the outfit than the movies would lead you to believe. So, decided to start him up regardless.

First off, built and primed the main figure in black. I also got the airbrush out and mixed up a custom gray that...well....is really pretty much black:


After figuring I needed to do more research than rush headlong into this project any more, I decided I could do the cape. I tried a new method of shading/highlighting black, and also tried Vallejo colors. Not a fan. I'm used to Tamiya's consistency, these Vallejo colors clogged the airbrush almost immediately, no matter how thin I made them. Back to the drawing board with them, but I did get this cape out of the deal:


Its fairly harsh lighting, obviously, but you get the idea. The tones might pop more once he's on a for real background.

Anyways, after suffering defeat at the hands of the mixed colors, did some research for anyone ELSE that might attempt this kit...after a long time searching, still haven't seen one in progress build of this (if you have one, I'd love to see it!). So I found a good hi-res image of the Dark Knight (not gonna post here for copyright reasons, but it should come up pretty easily with a quick search) and tried to make a good color swatch for him to test against once I fire the compressor back up.


So, gonna try to mix some colors up and get this guy sprayed quickly before the liquid mask arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment