Thursday, April 16, 2015

WIP: Tau Devilfish


Time to do even more, because my workbench isn't crowded enough.
Got a wild hair that I really wanted to do a camouflage template on something. And since I'm waiting on some enamel thinner to finish the Eldar Crimson Hunter I figured now's a good time to start a build on the next kit to get it all staggered.

Assembly on it is pretty straight forward. You can tell its an older kit, and there's some questioning as to what should be "panel lines" and what is a really bad seam. So, since its just supposed to be for fun, I figured I'll just make quick judgement calls. After assembly, I reinforced the illusion of the panel lines by using s scribing tool to deepen them after gluing them together, as you can see above.

The next step is to hide the seam lines that are obviously problematic, especially on the engines. I was able to see a finished version without the seams hidden on them, and its a big deal. So I worked on them using the steps I outlined a while back. Glue the pieces together, and sand using a rough grit. Then re-glue the seam line, which welds the styrene dust together in the seam. After that, you just re-sand with progressively smoother grit sandpaper until it vanishes entirely:



That's all until next time, when we're filling out the landing gear gaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment