Wednesday, April 29, 2015

WIP: Tau Devilfish - Accents


You've got red on you.

Getting around to the second half of this kit. Been making good time on it, all things considered. So my next step, after finishing the camo, was to work on an accent color to give it a bit more visual interest. I looked through my paint inventory and decided a crimson red would look best. So I started off by masking the areas that would need to be protected from the spray:


Pretty basic stuff....just used Tamiya masking tape around the crucial areas and then plain old hardware store masking tape for the rest since its cheaper. The Tamiya stuff is lower tack and thinner, so its a lot easier to not only position it in the right spot. but also easier to trim with an Xacto blade in the correct spots than the cheapo stuff.

From there, I mixed up a batch of Tamiya Red and a dash of Hull Red (more of a brown than red) to knock the color down a bit. I sprayed it all mixed 2:1 with thinner and around 20 psi.


After giving it all a good bit to dry appropriately, I peeled the tape off. I didn't want to do a very large amount of red, since the color change is so stark (going from literally no color [blacks and grays] to a vibrant color [crimson]), so I left the body mostly free except a few pieces up front. Didn't want to do any red on the back of the actual vehicle, since the bulk of the red would be on the turbines themselves.


And here it is, mostly pre-assembled in test fit mode. Once I weather it all up I'll start gluing everything together.  Thanks for looking, as always!


No comments:

Post a Comment