Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Star Wars Imperial Assault Storage Solutions - The Tiles


How I stored the tiles for my Imperial Assault board game! Click for more!

The tiles, to me, were the most difficult part of figuring out how to store all the contents, and are the one item I relented on my requirement to keep everything in one of the original boxes. The shapes are so irregular and varied, that a catch all solution WHILE storing cards, tokens, and minis, just wasn't feasible, especially for quick indexing to make maps much faster than sorting through mounds of similar tiles.

I knew if I was going to do this, I needed a zip up binder to keep the pages in good condition and from sliding around too much. I found this guy at Target for about $15:


I then sorted every tile into four piles: Extremely large (about 2-3 per box), large sized, medium (compact disk) sized, and small (playing card size or under). Once I had my count, I ordered some sleeves from Amazon. Now the OCD in me hates that they're not all the same size, but it is FAR more manageable now. Not pictured is the file organizer in the front pouch, which will let me keep characters and items sorted during the campaign. Its not pictured because, well, I haven't started the campaign yet.

I used full size sheet protectors for the rules, guides, and extremely large tiles:



I then used sheets designed for 5x7 photos for the large tiles:


I used CD sleeve pages for the medium sized tiles. This is where having a binder with an enclosure, rather than a full around zip binder, was essential. A binder that zips on all three sides wouldn't fit the longer CD pages. My binder zips top and bottom, and the enclosure flap is velcro, giving me a much needed extra inch or two:


And finally, I got baseball card sheets for the smaller tiles:


You can also see I separated the tiles by campaign type as well, and tried to keep them in numerical order while still conserving space and sorting by size:




Hope that helps some of you sort your tiles out! As a reminder, you can click here for all entries in the Imperial Assault Storage log. Thanks for looking!

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking about doing this exact thing but my only concern was what order to put the pieces to help with finding them. Since there is a mix of large/medium/small pieces throughout, you can't keep them in numerical order can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put them in as close to numerical order as possible. Fortunately, they're actually pretty close to numerical according to size. You can also mix/match pages to get it close. Most of the very large pieces are the 1s, 2s etc, the mediums are in the teens, and the very smalls are usually the 20s and 30s. There are some exceptions , but for the most part they're very close to in order as is.

      Delete
  2. Did the manuals fit in a single sheet or did you have to cut them into single pages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A whole sheet protector fit the entire manual. I used one per manual, didn't have to split them into singles.

      Delete
  3. I know it has been a long time since you posted this excellent solution, but I hope you can answer my questions. Do you have ALL the content for the game and if so how many of each page did you need for all of the tiles?

    ReplyDelete