Monday, January 4, 2016

WIP: Star Wars Imperial Assault Minis


A few minis from the tabletop board game, Imperial Assault completed! Click for more!

I got Star Wars fever, and the only cure is painting some stuff! I got seats to the opening showing of The Force Awakens, and sat outside in 40 degree temperatures all day to see that excellent Star Wars film. Then for my wife's birthday, we got to see it again, this time in one of the very few legit IMAX theaters in the country. So, with some Star Wars under my belt, and with a new Christmas present of Imperial Assault's Return to Hoth expansion, it was time to get back to painting!

First off was the Repulsor Tank from the Return to Hoth expansion, pictured above. That guy was base coated in Citadel's Celestra Gray, then washed in black, and brought back up with Administratum Gray. I then picked out a few panels to darken and bring out in rad. No real highlights or weathering. While that would make the mini look better, two things kept me from it: Number one, its a mini I'm most likely going to just be playing with my family, not entering into a model contest, and second, I imagined this was something just deposited onto the planet, and like most Imperial vehicles, disposable, and probably hasn't seen a ton of action. There is a pilot to go inside it, but I was going to wait and do all the stormtroopers in one fell swoop.

Next was IG-88, the robotic bounty hunter. Pretty simple stuff. Base coat in black, dry brush with some silver, and pick out the lenses in red:


After that, I did the wampas! There are two that are identical, and I considered taking the arm off of one, but eventually decided to leave well enough alone. These guys were primed in Tamiya White, then a sepia wash, and dry brushed back up with Pallid Wych Flesh from Citadel. The details were picked out in black and brought up to a dark charcoal gray. I haven't finished the base, which will just be a simple black, but I'm waiting to finish a few that need "basing" before doing that.


The next two I finished Sunday while listening to the Panthers game on the radio, so I'm happy I was able to churn some out so quickly. First was Han Solo, who I've had primed in black for what feels like forever. I started with his shirt, a base coat of Zandri Dust, washed in sepia, then brought up with Ushabti Bone. The pants were a dark navy blue (don't remember the Citadel color name), washed in black, then brought back up. Of note, this is the first time I've experimented differently with skin tones, using combinations of Reaper and Citadel, and I was happy with the result. Lots of different colors for such a small amount of area. I used mostly Reaper paints for the skin, and I'm far happier with their skin tones than Citadel's offerings.


Finally is Boba Fett! Lots of different colors on this guy. Far more than it seems like there should be on such a small mini. So much of him is hidden due to his pose, which was odd. His iconic green chest plate is almost complete obscured, leaving lots of the gray under the armor shown instead. Also, his back pack is so intricate in the movies, and only moderately estimated in this sculpt. Granted, its not a major production model kit, and the size of it doesn't lend itself to tons of detail, so I had to estimate some of the detail and trimming back there.


All of these will get better "studio" style pictures, front and back, when I complete the set. At this point, I estimate I'm about 1/3 of the way through all three expansions and the figure waves. Most of what I've concentrated on at this point is just the single sculpt minis (the heroes and one-off villains), and not the rank and file soldiers that can be batch processed. I have an amazing amount of stormtroopers to do, and they're about half of what's left at this point. So, lots more to come from these! As soon as they're completed, I can actually allow myself to finish and enjoy the game! Check back soon as I paint more in between family obligations! Check out all painted SWIA minis here!

No comments:

Post a Comment