Monday, February 29, 2016

WIP: Special Forces TIE Fighter (Bandai)


The print version of the video blog! Click for more!

So for the intricacies on how to assemble this piece, and in what order, be sure to click the video below this post. I go into mind-numbing detail on putting this piece together. This post will more focus on what steps where taken to complete it.

I had to build and detail the entire cockpit interior, just like the regular First Order TIE by Bandai, before proceeding to assembly of the main hull and wings. Sometimes this creates minor logistics issues. I decided to forego the clear plastic on both pieces, since the detail on the interior is actually quite good for this scale, and the reflective nature of the clear parts obscures what little you can see inside. All in all, I probably spent an inordinate amount of time building, painting, and putting decals on the interior for what little can be seen, but I know its there, and that's what matters!

Using the Force Awakens Cross Sections book as reference, I painted the chair a dark gray (Vallejo Charcoal), and the harness and other details inside I based in Leadbelcher. I left the main interior black from the primer. Most of it can't be seen except the bits I picked out, so no real reason to put an extra coat of paint on, unless you light the interior, which I don't plan to do. With so little light coming in, you can't tell the difference from primer black, black paint, and/or black metallic, so I made less trouble and left it. I picked out some of the metallic details in Vallejo Chrome.

After that, I assembled the main hull, and as many pieces as I could:


You'll notice I used the clear pieces here...a little ingenuity, since Bandai gives both clear and non-windowed parts, I used the windowed parts as masks, so I wouldn't have to cut anything to a specific shape. So I just press fit the clear pieces on so I could spray primer and paint with reckless abandon. Also, I left the red markings the indicate a Special Forces TIE off, even though the instructions say to put it on at this point. It just makes for excess masking, so I'll leave those off. This also means I have to spray the "wheel" at then end of the wing and all the other detail pieces separate and assemble at the end, but its still better than painting it all while on there.

I primed the pieces to be painted red with Tamiya primer:


And I'm going to wait for those to gas out a bit before applying the red, as Tamiya's surface primer is a bit different that the Citadel primer I use for most things. The Tamiya needs a day or so to gas out (any paints put on top during this time can have problems), while Citadel's black primer is basically dry to the touch after a minute, and can be sanded within an hour.

I then sprayed the wings Tamiya Sky Gray, and the frame for the windshield (windshield? I dunno) with Alclad's Semi Matte Aluminum. The main body and wings and other parts were primed black, then I used Alclad's Gun Metal as the final color. This is the best black metal I've found. Most other ones are dark grays, very few are truly black. I then test assembled what I had done:


While the front and top were masked using existing optional parts, the back window had a lens you could insert for the gunner section. I didn't think it kept with the theme of the rest of the kit to install it, so I left it open to see in, but that created a large gap. I masked this with Blue Tack, a thick putty used for hanging posters and pulled it out when I was done.


And there you have it! Mostly ready, I just have to get the Special Forces markings painted and installed, and this will be ready to go! Thanks for looking, stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment