Monday, July 6, 2015

WIP: Stormtalon - Base coats


The color scheme starting to take effect!

Finally getting around to getting some paint laid down. I was able to spend a few solid days on nothing but this kit, so there's been a lot of progress.

The color scheme was inspired by those sci-fi games, and some movies, that present a sinister sterile future. A lot of these use a white/orange scheme that I wanted to borrow and create a gunship of similar style, adding some black to offset the bright colors.

After priming the whole thing white, I laid a base Tamiya white coat down on the whole thing. Even though overall surface area will be mostly black, its easier for me to mask less on the front end, than get the overall color right to start and do MORE masking for the white. So anything that remained white, after the base coat was given a couple of hours to dry, was masked off, then a base coat of orange (which goes over white better than black) was applied somewhat sloppily (because I can fix major mistakes with the black coat later!).


After the orange was dry, I masked off just the orange, and sprayed my black coat down (more specifically, Tamiya NATO Black, which is almost black, but with a very slight hint of green and gray), and then pulled up my masks, including the canopy, so now the look is really starting to come together:


With the base coat of black applied, I had a good foundation for my metallics as well, so I applied Citadel's Leadbelcher, and Vallejo Chrome on the tips, so I could use my new Tamiya weathering powders to create the "heated metal" effect on the ends:


A quick test fit assembly (not glued) after a few of the details were picked out, and the color scheme is looking really good, possibly my favorite combination I've done yet. What do you all think?


No comments:

Post a Comment