Monday, July 6, 2015

WIP: Stormtalon - Finishing Touches


Nearing the end!

I was really happy with how the color scheme had been coming, but once I started detailing it, the colors really started to make sense and look how I wanted them to appear. The craft has almost a "poisonous insectoid" appearance that I'm really digging.

Anyways, on with the show. I started the detailing and weathering process by going through the panel lines with a black wash. That's where the benefit of using the Tamiya NATO Black, instead of "real" black, comes in...the wash further deepens the panel lines, instead of just being more black. The NATO Black is a half step lighter than my wash, so it makes the panel lines really pop.

I also started utilizing a lot of Vallejo Chrome (which is really a white metal, not reflective like Alclad) and some Black Metal as well to offset the typical GW "Leadbelcher/Iron Breaker/Runefang" combo. A lot of the Stormtalons that I researched used edge painting to increase depth, but with such a liberal use of white, it was going to be difficult to edge highlight to a higher tone, so instead I went lower, using Vallejo Charcoal as an edge paint almost, to weather the corners and lines. I used Necron Compound for the black pieces:



By now, its getting close to the individual pieces being ready to be glued together, and I'm super impatient when it comes to that...so despite my better intuitions, I glued it all together anyway, once the detailing and weathering was done.


So close, next up are the decals!!! Stay tuned.

1 comment: