Sunday, April 17, 2016

WIP: Stormtrooper Helmet (Vinyl DIY kit)


Cleaning out the closet by painting the largest things first!
Needed a little space in my closet after rearranging/reorganizing/adding new things (mostly adding new things). These Stormtrooper helmets take up over a cubic foot (except the mini) so decided it was time to knock the remaining ones out. I picked them up for $15-20 each at Target when Episode VII first came out, and they've been staring at me ever since. You might've seen the roller derby helmet I did earlier. I also have a full size that has been painted white, as it will be a standard trooper helmet. I had no clue what to do with the others, but space necessity dictates I hurry up and figure it out.

I started by priming them. There's so much area on them, and they're honestly toys more than kits, so I didn't want to use my nicest expensive primers on them. I got some spare automotive primer and just started spraying. I got halfway through one of the large ones when I noticed it had "deflated...."



I cut the bottom out of it and used a heat gun to reshape the vinyl a bit, but it still won't be perfect. My son was begging me to let him paint one, so it kills two birds with the proverbial single stone....I have one less design I have to figure out if I give him the imperfect one, and he won't care about the imperfections, so there you go.

And after primer:


While priming I decided to do one as a Carolina Panthers helmet (Panthers fan since 1995), so now I just have to figure out how to style the mini. I'll actually take commission orders on it right now if anyone is interested, just drop me a message and we'll talk. I don't have a design picked out and if somebody really wants one, I'd be happy to paint one up, just remember its a simple vinyl piece, not a precise, exact helmet replica.

No comments:

Post a Comment