Monday, September 8, 2014

WIP: Orktober 31st (Update: General "housekeeping")





Get it? HOUSEKEEPING!?

So basically buckled down and got to it this weekend to finish up the house for the diorama. I started off by basecoating the whole thing in Deck Tan, then used a little Khaki Drab mixed in for the grimy effects.


After that, I pretty much went on picture taking hiatus. I made a goal to finish the whole thing up in one weekend, which, in retrospect was pretty stupid of me, but paints to finish my commissions were coming in on Monday, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Since the roof was mostly painted and done, I decided to work on getting my LEDs in order so I could finally get the whole piece together. I used a pin vise and drilled into the front of the house, added the LEDs where the original sconces would go, and pulled the wires through the new pilot holes. After that I puttied over the stems of the LEDs to make it look like a larger branch instead of lathed metal. I also got my new yellow LED in for the attic, so this is what I had after the fact:



In these shots, I don't have the cups and flames sculpted yet, but you get the idea. You can also see, in the windows, the white LED I put in for an effect I'd do later on the windows and to light the doorframe. At this point, I had base coated pretty much all of it. now, at then end of the day, it was time to sleep a bit and work on details in the morning.

I will post some pics of the final product, but you'll see soon enough what it looks like. I started picking out the bricks one by one. For the bricks, I just basecoated in a mid gray, and then washed and dry brushed with some lighter colors, and did an almost white edge highlight on the tops to bring them out. Most people do a gold/brass thing for the edifices from the shots I've seen, and I wanted to make this my own, so after much hemming and hawing, I settled on doing marble for the runes and other work on the actual piece. Check soon for a tutorial on how I did the marbling.

Finally, I added some clear styrene behind the windows on the kit, and then added in Tamiya's clear range to create a stained glass effect. I pointed the roof LED toward the front door, and added foil tape inside where the light is pointing to reflect back out, and was really please with how the effect turned out. This is also pretty much a final shot of the back of the house:



So, 48 hours, and no life later, I emerged from my hidey hole with a completed kit. I'll do pro shots of the Chapel after I have finished at least one commission piece so I can get more use out of setting my gear up.

No comments:

Post a Comment