Monday, September 8, 2014

WIP: Orktober 31st (Update - Sconces/LEDs)



What's a little electrical engineering between friends?

So I know very little about wiring, LEDs, voltages, etc. By little, I mean, nothing at all, other than they exist. So I decided to foolishly make my kit fantastic with them.

The box art for the chapel shows this decent OSL effect from their sconces on the front, painted with bright yellows and reflecting off the plaster front. I decided to do this with just LEDs, and forget the painting part. Easy, right?

This is NOT my picture, taken from the website as box art for illustration purposes
First thing I did was test my theory to see how it would come out. I had great success with the fire effect (IMO) on my Witch King's sword, so I got the Water Effects tube back out (irony, using water effects to sculpt fire, no?). I found a worthless piece of plastic with a hole in it, stuck the LED in the hole and sculpted the flame hastily on top. I even added some clear yellow and orange, though the black primer around the piece to block the light detract from it. Hooked the LED up to a battery, and voila, proof of concept (though the LED doesn't show up great in photos).



So the plan originally was: 1) Chop off the sculpted flame bit. 2) Remove the "stem" holding the flame up. 3) Insert LED into aforementioned area, and 4) put a piece of styrene rod around the wires to remake the stem.

This is how the plan unfolded: 1) Chop off the sculpted flame bit (success!). 2) Remove the "stem" holding the flame up (pretty easy) 3) Uh oh...the LEDs I bought, though small enough for an ant to swallow, still need a clearance much larger than the original sconce. Like, off-puttingly large. So, original idea, abandoned.

I decided I'd have to have a larger work area for the LED to fit in, especially now that I'd mangled one of the sconces and there was no going back. I sifted through my parts bin and found this little gem, that was part of a Tamiya tank.


No clue what the part was, but it was perfect. Angled just right. So I sanded down the nubs at the bottom and the "wings" on the top, and drilled a hole into the base for the LED to come out of:

No comments:

Post a Comment