Friday, September 26, 2014

WIP: Orktober 31st (Update - Random Terrain Stuff)



I'm a blind man forging a trail here.

So I have no clue what to do when it comes to scenics. I've read a little bit about them, OK, recently, A LOT about them, but I've still never done anything with them, and for every informative technique I find, I find something that debunks what I just read. So, I figure let's just dive head first.

While I waited for my spackle to dry, I started blending up various turfs. You can see the mixing bowl full of turf above. Its about 5-6 different blends of colors, from brown to orange, yellow, and bright green. Craziness, but a dash of weird colors here and there really help set it apart. I also mixed up some ballast in a few different colors for my dirt path leading up to the house:


Finally, the spackle was dry, so it was time to base coat the board. I just got some el cheapo craft paint and slathered it all over the whole thing. Didn't have to be too neat, I'm going to cover it all with some turf anyway.


Now I have what felt like a gallon of paint on the thing, I decided to work some more on the trees and the toilet papering that was going on. After learning a good bit on heat and styrene with My Rhino Can Laser, I got some styrene strips and started heating them up to look like paper. Just all kinds of random shapes and sizes.


Then I painted them without priming, a very thin off-white color to dull down the sheen of the blank styrene a bit, then draped them over a tree as a test:


I liked the look of that, so I was ready to plant my trees before moving on. I got my trusty Aves Apoxie (seriously, this stuff is magic) and mixed up a good batch. see, the GW trees, as you can see above, have these weird airborne roots. Even when placed on the base they come with, they just look...off. So I sculpted some turf up to the tree roots with the Aves, and then textured it a bit with an old stippling brush. The Aves serves two functions...it acts as a putty to blend the tree into the turf I made, and also acts as a serious adhesive as well.



I have to do a second coat of brown, as it being cheap craft paint, I had a few spots that shrank and didn't cover, so I figured now would be a good time to put something else on that needs a base coat. Once the brown paint and turf goes all over that putty job, you'll never know it wasn't there to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment