Wednesday, March 23, 2016

WIP: Model Contest Time!


Getting some past kits and my kids' kits ready for contest time in early April!

There's a regional model contest near me, and it being years since I've competed in anything, and by that same account, years since I've seen other modellers' works, so I'm excited! While I enjoy competing, I much prefer seeing what other people do up close, so good times coming. That being said, I'm gussying up some of my older kits to compete. Mostly just dusting them off, but in the case of my Bowser Mech, I added a base of chromed treadplate since I had chrome already loaded into my airbrush, and magnetized the feet and the bottom of the base for stability:


But enough about me. What's cool is both my 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter wanted to build and paint something to compete in the Juniors Category, so here's what THEY'VE been working on!

My 6 year old daughter is working on two leftover Night Goblins from Warhammer that I bought a few years back working on my Orktober diorama. She insists on painting them pink and purple, but they're a step up from previous works. I let her use an old Figuralia base of mine that I had used to test paints on as well. Here is one of them primed:


And her finished product:


My son decided to try something big time for his first "real" model kit...the Revell P-40b Tiger Shark:


He painted the interior and the pilot first, then sprayed the plane brown, puttied it for camo, and sprayed green:



And here's where it stands right now, with him needing to do decals and detail work:


Really proud of the hard work they've both put in with VERY minimal help from me. I didn't do any of the build for the Night Goblins, and none of the paint, though I did prime it for her so my 6 year old wasn't spraying harmful vapors. My son, I showed basic modeling tips to, and sprayed small sections of the plane to show him how to spray, then he finished it all off himself, including the camo, so this is truly their work, and I'm excited for them!

For those wondering which models are competing, here's a list of links to the showcases. Anyone else competing in anything, or competed recently? Drop a comment below, let us know how you did!

Sci Fi (non-spacecraft):
Bowser Mech
Stormtalon
Snowspeeder

Sci Fi (Spacecraft, fictional and nonfictional):
X-Wing
TIE Fighter
Millennium Falcon

Figures:
War Machine
Hulk
Thor

Diorama:
Orktober

No comments:

Post a Comment