Monday, May 25, 2015

When disaster strikes: Pinning your models


A quick tutorial on how to fix it when disaster strikes.

Lucky you! I had a disastrous accident, and YOU get to be the beneficiary! I was working on the SAFS Snowman Ma.K kit by Wave, getting ready to paint the legs individually, when the ball joint part snapped off at the stem. A few years ago, I would've thrown the kit away in a fit of rage and despair. Now, after some experimentation, I was able to save it from certain doom.

The first thing I have to do is get my good ol' pin vise out. I have one dedicated to the exact size of a typical paper clip that I keep handy for such occasions. I drill into both severed locations like so:


After that, I insert a paper clip into the hole I just drilled, using a small dab of super glue to keep it in place:


Then I snip the paper clip to size:


Add another small dab of super glue to the other end of the paper clip, the CA glue will adhere both ends of the clip to the holes drilled, then a slight amount of styrene cement where the plastic rejoins to create a new, chemically bonded piece, and the legs are now viable once again!


Hopefully this will help others repair a kit that seems beyond repair. Happy modeling everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment