Sunday, June 1, 2014

One Hour Paint Competition


A fun little friendly paint competition at my local GW store.

So a while back, my local GW store celebrated its one year anniversary. I was just getting acquainted with the shop owner, and was having a really fun time buying tons of kits. About 99% of them were still unpainted, but hey, I'm sure he wasn't complaining. He was having a little store bash, with cupcakes, a lot of demos and games going on, and a few painting contests. One of these was a one hour competition between anyone that wanted to compete.

So, I brought the kids up, got them filled with sugar, and drove down for the festivities. My son (6 years old, at the time) and I decided to try our hand at painting a space marine. I had yet to build or paint a space marine, so I wasn't sure what to do with it once the clock started. I repainted him probably 3 or 4 times, I just wasn't happy with the color scheme, and since I didn't have an army to pull ideas from, I was winging it.

My son and I rocking the one hour paint competition.

My son did an excellent job, probably his best paint job yet, and before you purists get worked up, remember, he's six:

We had a date at the zoo that evening, so we ended up tearing out before the competition actually ended, but it turned out I won first place with my entry! There were some fantastic 1 hour paint jobs out there too, so I'm even more thrilled with the victory, but honestly the camaraderie with fellow enthusiasts and my son, as we fumbled and scrambled and joked around whilst painting, was even more awesome.



2 comments:

  1. It was a fun day. I'm happy that you and your son enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really was a fun time. Cool party atmosphere in the store. Hopefully something similar can come up next anniversary. Its fun just to be there.

    ReplyDelete