Monday, June 30, 2014

WIP: My Rhino Can Laser


Some quick hits on bringing my son's art project to life.

For those who've kept up with the blog, you aw some of these shots earlier and know a bit of the history, but it was in a helter skelter post, so I'm consolidating.

During the school year, my six year old son drew this amazing photo with the world's best caption:
My Rhino Can Laser
Upon seeing this and becoming the world's proudest father, I decided this HAD to be immortalized in three dimensions, so I set my mind to going about creating a realistic version of "My Rhino Can Laser."

I searched around for a bit and found a very affordable rhino toy from Schleich toys, around $6, and some clear red styrene rods to go along with it.


I used a pin vise to drill out the eyes, using the largest bit in the Citadel hand drill. This was pretty much a spot on fit to get the 3/32" rod into the eye slits:


The next task was to cover up the trademark and other logos on the rhino's belly. These were raised letters, and sanding plastic this soft is tedious and usually ineffective, so I decided to just sculpt over it. This was done using Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I bought the pink mix since most things I work in are gray, so I can spot where seams might be. After covering the lettering, I used a rubber tip brush to stipple the skin texture over the entire thing.


After that, I shot some black primer over the entire thing, and next, its on to painting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment