Sunday, June 1, 2014

Model Showcase: Hulk (Dragon Models)


My second in the Dragon Models vinyl line!

When it was announced that Dragon would be doing an Avengers line of kits, I was all in. As soon as they released, I was buying them.  When the Hulk kit arrived, it didn't last a day before it was primed and ready to go. It wasn't until I did my backlog posts that I realized I'd neglected to photograph him a few months ago when I finished it, so I dusted the SLR off and had to relearn photography for these mediocre pictures, lol.


I had never really used my airbrush to "preshade" a lot...I usually used it after the fact for subtle shading. I decided to give preshading a try with his musculature though, and I was quite happy with the end result. It worked out well on this kit.

One thing that kept me from really finishing as quickly as I could have where the seams.  His legs and pants were three parts, but his whole upper torso, arms included, are one big hunk of vinyl. Except his head. This is where the OCD part of me came out.  There was almost NO way to get putty in between those huge ham fists and hide the seam around where his jaw met his neck, and the hairline in the back was a nightmare. There was a gap juuuuust big enough to be noticed, but right up against his hair, and as I'm no sculptor, I had some issues with how to deal.

Basically, I layered multiple helpings of gap-filling super glue in the crevices until I was happy with it.  This did result in one major run of glue that I had to sand and acetone off.  However, end result was OK. He came out a tad dark for my taste, but I was rushing through and using Tamiya paints straight from the pot, and I really wanted to add some Hulk to my shelves since a client bought every last Hulk kit I had done up to that point.

Also, the photos came out a touch dark as well and for some reason looks glossy in the photos, but I think you get the idea. He is definitely dark, but not as stark as the pictures made him look, and he does have a skin "sheen" but not as shiny either. I can tell I haven't operated this camera in a while.




No comments:

Post a Comment