Sunday, June 1, 2014

Painting Minis

If you've come here looking for my minis that I've painted, and curious why my page is mostly full of super hero garage kits, read this post about why war gaming miniatures have captured my attention in full, and why I've decided to paint these almost exclusively for fun, and hopefully, for a few commission pieces as well!

If you've read my post on the Skeletons model showcase, you know how I discovered Games Workshop minis. However, here is why they've fast become my kits of choice, over super hero resin and all other kit types I've done over the years.


See, as petrol prices increased, so did the price of materials used in many garage kits. Costs went up, and many bigger companies, like Marvel, began getting bought by even bigger companies, like Disney. The combination meant prices were going through the roof, and the writing was on the wall as far as continuing my hobby...I'd have to find something else to fulfill my modeling habit.

I bought tons of styrene after I pretty much gave up on garage kits. Tanks, planes, cars, even some trains and a few crappy figure kits too...anything I thought would be fun, I bought, even though I had zero interest in a lot of the subject matter. Turns out, you have to have some reason to unbox the kits, because most of them sat in my closet for years.

Fast forward to finding my local GW store. After buying, building, and painting the skeletons all in an afternoon, I realized something. I was MUCH happier doing these smaller kits. Its not that I don't have love for the other model subjects, I do. Its just that I actually completed a kit, and it looked fairly decent, in a very short amount of time. Some garage kits sat on my bench for months on end, trying to fill gaps, sand epoxies, and paint extremely large surfaces. No longer.

With war gaming minis, I could start and complete a kit in a matter of days, sometimes even just hours. They'd look amazing on a shelf too.

Now, one issue with GW kits is that you can get more plastic for your buck buying a WWII tank, or a race car kit or some such. GW kits are priced a little based on the size, but mostly on the ability of the subject. A gigantic tank might cost less than a single mini figure. This means I have to be discerning about what I buy. I don't play Warhammer at all. I have a basic understanding of the rules, and a decent grasp on the "fluff," but I buy these kits because, honestly, where else are you going to get a model kit with this kind of subject matter? Nobody else is producing large scale versions of a zombie dragon or a cobbled-together ork mek.

The subject matter resonates with me, and while the figures are small, the fun is big. Look here for many, MANY more minis coming over the next few days, weeks, months, and years.

No comments:

Post a Comment