Friday, May 16, 2014

Model Showcase: Galactus (Bowen Bust repaint)

 
Galactus, as a character, has always intrigued me. A guy about as big as a skyscraper who eats planets. That's the equivalent of me having the ability to eat every pizza in a 50 mile radius, which I guess isn't terribly far-fetched.

Due to subject matter, I assume, there have been little to naught model kits of Galactus. I guess he's size-preventative. So, I bought the Bowen bust of him with the intention to make it more sinister. I mean, this guy commits genocide just for a snack, right? Bright purple and electric blue just don't do a guy like that justice. I knew this would mean I'd have to actually put my own unique take on the character, which is one of the only times I've gone completely against protocol and freelanced my color scheme.

I started thinking about the "cosmic-ness" of the character, and wondered why he'd have skin like a Caucasian person. You know, he's a cosmic alien, but yeah, he looks just like every other white guy out there? I'm not buying it. I wanted to create a skin tone that emulated the cosmos.  Originally, I was going to make it just black, and airbrush stars and planets onto his face, like looking into infinity. While a cool thought, I figured it didn't quite translate into what I wanted to do with the character. So, I painted his face mostly as a gun metal metallic, which I felt conveyed the sinister aspect of him while still making him appear other-worldly.

From there, I airbrushed Createx metallic purple mixed with more gun metal to create the darker tone to his outfit, and then did more Tamiya metallic blue to finish him out.

While most people see him and think he's either unfinished or incorrect, I look at it and think "THIS is how Galactus should look."

No comments:

Post a Comment