Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Model Showcase: Punisher (Horizon Cable Conversion)


 
My first large scale, major conversion. Converted Horizon's vinyl kit of Cable to the Punisher.

I was never a huge converter, so when a model contest came up that required major conversion, I decided to give it my first shot. The original version can be seen here. Credit goes to the original artist, and I'm in no way affiliated with any of the pictures, painting, or build up, its just a really good rendition of the original kit. Had I known how much work it would be, I would have documented it with pictures.

So, the conversion created some issues. I figured I'd go with the more 80's version of the character, with absurd weaponry, and to keep me from having to put 1/6 scale M16s that wouldn't really fit, so I kept the original weaponry. However, the organic metal arm, the gigantic shoulder pad, and a few other issues, like the facial scarring, backpack, belt, and "stitching" around the metal arm were going to present a major problem. Vinyl kits like this are hollow, so its not a matter of just sanding it down; I would have to recreate all of the detail that would be under it.

I started by removing the shoulder pad with an Xacto knife. This left the right arm section tenuously attached to the belt area. I then used Aves to sculpt up an under frame of rock hard putty. After that dried, I sculpted the new shoulder detail. Then, for the left arm, I used the same Aves putty to sculpt over the lines of the metal arm and add a glove to the hand. Finally, I cut sections of drinking straws, filled them with Aves for stability, and glued those to the belt to create the capsules that this era Punisher had on his belt, along with the "teeth" to the skull. The skull was free handed.



No comments:

Post a Comment