Monday, May 19, 2014

Model Showcase: Iron Man (Garage Kit)


Continuing in the Avengers theme, here's a 1/6 scale Iron Man!
This garage kit was produced by Mad Dog Resin. Based off the Adi Granov armor, and sculpted and released before the now very famous Iron Man movies, this kit was definitely a learning experience for me.  Big bulky armor in comparison to how he's portrayed currently, though at the time, this was a HUGE departure from the earlier versions of his armor, and to see it so well done in kit form, I had to have it, even though when it was released over a decade ago, my skills weren't as up to snuff to handle it.

First off, as you can probably tell, he is in the most precarious of situations in regards to placement on the base. The very tips of his feet are the only contact points for this kit to give the impression he's taking off.  I pinned him as best I could to the base, then filled in around the foot with Aves Apoxie sculpt to try to give him more stability, since when it dries its essentially rock hard, and it blends well with the debris around him.

I also used Tamiya rattle cans for the first time on this kit. I used a hull red over the whole thing with a coat of Future Floor Polish, which at the time was the best I could come up with at the time, though if I could do it over, I'd use my Alclad recipe for Iron Man.  As precarious as he is, I dare not put him through a vat of paint stripper to correct it thought.





No comments:

Post a Comment