Monday, May 19, 2014

Model Showcase: Thanos (Garage Kit)



Right before Guardians of the Galaxy, the big bad himself, THANOS!

Some backstory on this character. I wasn't very into comics as a kid. I knew who Spider-Man and Wolverine were, and enjoyed the occasional toy or TV show with Marvel characters, but never really read the comics.  Fast forward to my fourth grade year in school, I had the flu over Thanksgiving break, and my parents bought me a comic to help me pass the time while I was laid up.  The comic in question was Infinity Gauntlet #1.

I was captured. I loved reading about the craziness these well known heroes were going through. They actually KILLED OFF that many characters? And how in the WORLD could they stop Thanos? I was hooked, and ever since then, Thanos has been my favorite bad guy. So when my favorite bad guy was released by the garage kit company Killing Time, and done by my favorite sculptor Gabe Perna, I was first in line.

Originally, I was going to paint him JUST like the comic...using oranges for golds, vivid blues and purples, just like how I remembered him, but then the orange just didn't pan out well. It just looked...orange, not a gold translation, if that makes sense. So, I put him in the vat and redid the orange in different gold shades.

I used some pearl paint colors to make the gems, though in retrospect, I would've used Alclad chrome and masked it off, spray clear colors over them to get a better effect. Maybe someday, but as of right now, I'm not touching this bad boy.




No comments:

Post a Comment