Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Model Showcase: Venom (Consumption) (Garage Kit)


Finally, the last kit in the backlog, and my Holy Grail of garage kits, Consumption.

When I first realized that people made model kits of comic book figures, I went bananas. I bought everything I could get my hands on from Toy Biz and Horizon. At the time, in my high school years, I was under the impression model kits were only for WWII tanks and muscle cars. I went on a spending spree that rivaled no other, and produced many of the kits you see here.

In doing research, I stumbled across a few different places were similar-minded people gathered, and discovered garage kits. One way or another, I found this beauty, a transformation take of Eddie Brock turning into Venom entitled "Consumption" by Epic Statues. It was gorgeous, it was sculpted by Gabe Perna, it was expensive...and it was insanely detailed. I mustered up the funds, but afraid I'd never do it justice, let it sit in a box for a very long time.

One day, I figured it would look better on my shelf collecting dust than in a box doing the same. I bit the bullet and went headlong into my Holy Grail kit.

He went together fairly easily, until the tendrils. Each one was glued, puttied, and sanded down to a smooth finish. I then painted the white in an overlapping fashion for the spider symbol. I put a satin varnish over Venom to offset the flat colors I had put on Eddie Brock. I added a small touch of yellow and brown to the white for the t-shirt to keep it from looking too similar to the white on the emblem. I also over-exaggerated his eye, angling it down at his hand and making the pupil overly dilated to enhance the look of horror.




No comments:

Post a Comment