Monday, May 19, 2014

Model Showcase: Wolverine (Horizon)



1/6 scale vinyl sculpt of the Wolverine.

Interesting piece. Like most Horizon kits, this was a bland sculpt, slightly too large head, and a weird pose.  At the time, there were no other choices for this character, so I had to settle.

On top of all this, his suit is 90% yellow, which as most of you know, is one of the most difficult colors to paint. Had I known how easy airbrushing would be, I would have done this totally different.  Instead, I put on layer after layer of thinned down yellow paint. This was by far the most time consuming aspect, even more so than the typical vinyl pre-preparation.

I also used some metallic blues for different parts of the suit to give it more sheen. I used brown pastels to shade the yellows.

One of the biggest changes I made were the claws. Vinyl wilts over time, especially thin vinyl. I discarded the claws that came with the kit, and replaced them with styrene strips. The effect is a MUCH sharper blade, as opposed to the vinyl that you have to trim and would look uneven. I'm really proud of how those turned out.

This kit took Best of Show in a regional contest.




No comments:

Post a Comment